Sewing clothing is definitely not my strong suit. Not that quilting is always easy, but the geometry of it makes sense to me. Woven cotton and I get along pretty well. We understand each other. Throw in sleeves and stretch knits and something having to actually fit on a person and I kind of freak out. But still, every now and then, I give it a try.
My last attempt at a nightgown for my daughter was… alright. It was kind of messy, and it has stretched out in a weird way, but it has held together and she’s been happy enough with it.
I don’t remember what sparked the idea, but I ended up finding this tutorial on Sparkle Power! for making girls’ nightgowns out of old (grown-up) t-shirts. I’ve had it bookmarked for weeks, and finally jumped on it this afternoon. Rebecca and I went through my drawers for a couple of shirts I was ready to part with. Mostly she wanted “colorful” ones. The white ones with funny (to me) sayings did not go over as well with the picky 4.5-year-old. Ah well.
I made three, late this afternoon. I’d say each one took maybe 10-15 minutes, and that’s only because I had several interruptions for snacks and other immediate concerns of preschoolers.
They’re the definition of quick & dirty, including the lame iPhone photos. I don’t have a serger, so the seams are just plain zig-zagged. Don’t look too closely at the sleeves for the puckering. And OK, so the v-neck from my XL t-shirt is borderline inappropriate on my little four-year-old.
But hey, not bad for some shirts that were going to end up in the giveaway pile, anyways.