Because, sometimes you have to set aside all of your works-in-progress and make something completely new.
My littlest one has an occupational therapist through our state’s Early Intervention program. She’s been working with us, every week, for over a year. Sadly for us, she is taking a new job, so Monday was our last day together. I wanted to wish her well and send her off with a little something, which meant that Sunday night, I dropped everything to make a mug rug for her new office.
She’s a bit younger than me, and a whole lot more fashionable. I got the idea that something with navy and gray, with pops of brighter colors, might work for her. I pulled my precious Lotta Jansdotter fabric out of the stash and cut 2.5″ strips, then used paper to foundation-piece them in a little diagonal. In my haste, I totally messed up the first two (the white/gray and yellow florals on the left), so they didn’t cover the upper-left corner at all. Instead of picking out stitches, I called it a design element and added the orange. No harm, no foul.
Wanting to get out of my quilting rut, and being thoroughly inspired by Angela Walters‘ book, I decided to do a different quilting design on each print. Turned out kind of cool, I thought. Some of the designs could use some more practice, but it’s nice to feel like I have more options. (And seriously, if you do any free-motion quilting AT ALL, get Angela’s book. It’s wonderful and totally practical and helpful, not just pretty.) Plus, I did some of the teeny-tiniest quilting I have EVER done.
The finished piece is around 6 x 10″, and since I’ve gotten in to making jam this summer, of course she had to have a jar of the strawberry rhubarb – so dang delicious. Our much-loved Courtney seemed to dig both the mug rug and the jam, and I hope they both serve her well on her new adventure.