The best part about picking up all of these long-abandoned, half-finished quilt projects is that it makes you feel REALLY accomplished with how quickly things get finished. It also helps when you use huge swaths of solid fabric to turn a few blocks into a big quilt.
This was another set of bee blocks that I’ve had languishing for just under five years. But lucky me, there were 15 of them, all nicely trimmed and waiting for me to get off my ass and do something with them. I decided to sash them in white and then do a sort of off-center placement in a lot of solid. I wasn’t sure how big to make it, though, since I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with this quilt.
Oh right, the blocks are all based on a funky owl print, and I’ve got a daughter with a thing for owls. Hey Becca! Want a new quilt for your bed? Yeah? Okay, then up it goes to 70×90″. I was originally going to use Kona Stone for the front, which is more tan/taupe, but my local quilt shop didn’t have it and I settled on Kona Pewter, instead, which is a warm-ish gray.
The back is Kona Teal with some leftover scraps of the Alexander Henry Owls and Kona Pewter from the front.
I marked out diagonal lines for quilting, which almost took longer than the quilting itself due to a lemon of a marking pen, but there was no way I was going to eyeball this one. I was originally going to stop with three lines of quilting in one direction and one line in the other, because I thought the asymmetry looked cool, but I was afraid that it meant 9″ between quilting lines and the batting recommended no more than 8″. So both directions got the triple-line treatment, and I love the way it turned out.
I wanted to do something bold with the binding, and was leaning towards either a hot pink or a reddish orange, or maybe even a deep purple. But then I asked Becca what she thought, and she picked out some bright aqua polka dots. I was skeptical, but it turns out she has a great eye.
I took this quilt with us to the farmer’s market yesterday, figuring I’d take some pictures outside using the baseball diamond backdrop. The kids even climbed the backdrop to get the hangers high enough so that it didn’t droop on the ground. I stepped back to get some shots with my DSLR and… the battery was dead. *sad trombone* Thank goodness for the decent-quality camera on my iPhone, since I knew this was going straight onto Becca’s bed when we got home.
(And lo, that was my 3,000th upload on Flickr! Whoa!)
Linking up with Finish it Up Friday, go see some more lovely finished quilts!